Situated in the small, historic town of Princess Anne, the University
of Maryland Eastern Shore comprises a 600 plus acre expanse that
is at once academic, international, and Arcadian, making it a fitting
atmosphere for study and young adult growth. It offers students
a tranquil retreat from a bustling city lifestyle, yet it is only
a two-hour drive from any one of several mid-Atlantic metropolitan
areas- Norfolk, Washington, Baltimore, Philadelphia, and Wilmington-
providing access to many urban amenities. In addition, the resort
town of Ocean City is less than an hour's drive away.
The atmosphere of UMES has long been famial. Almost 60 percent
of the students live on campus. The oval shaped mall is the hub
of campus academic and residential activity. There students, faculty,
and staff walk together to and from their daily activities in the
classrooms, administrative departments, student activity and residence
life facilities. The campus is decidedly close-knit.
Behind the campus oval are 500 acres of farmland that complete
the multifaceted research institution. Innovative agricultural research,
serving both local and global economies, is conducted through the
Small Farms Institute noted for its aquaculture facility, the Swine
Research Center -- the hub of all University of Maryland swine research,
a poultry management operation and crop and animal production programs.
The international elements of the UMES campus can be evidenced
by the flags of approximately 50 nations that wave at the campus
entrance around the federal, state and University flagpoles. These
flags symbolize various nationalities of students enrolled at UMES.
A recent ongoing capital improvement project reflects the University's
emphasis on academic development. In 1993, the campus's premiere
academic building, the Richard A. Henson Center, was opened and
dedicated. Combining the future with tradition, it will blend well
with the Georgian-style architecture that defines the neighboring
Ella Fitzgerald Center for the Performing Arts, the J.T. Williams
administrative building, and the recently renovated Kiah Hall.
Alumni House - Initially the site of the Home Management
Residence, this building was converted in 1992 to serve the alumni
association, and the development office.
Benjamin Banneker Hall - (1959) Named for the noted Revolutionary
Era surveyor, mathematician and inventor, this building houses offices
for faculty and teaching staff.
Benjamin Oliver Bird Hall - Built in the early 1940's and
named for the first head of the institution, Bird Hall was renovated
recently for the offices of admissions, recruiting and financial
The Theodore Briggs and Richard Thomas Arts and Technology Center
- (1984) The departments of Technology and Art and Industrial Education
are named for the two former department heads of industrial education.
Lida M. Brown Hall - (1966) This building is the home of
the Department of Education, and was named for a former dean of
women at the institution.
George Washington Carver Hall - (1972) Renovations in 1990
doubled this space for the Department of Natural Sciences.
Central Receiving Building - The Office of Physical Plant
is located in this building, it also serves as the primary receiving
dock for the campus.
Child Development and Family Center - Located in the Early
Childhood Center, the Child Development and Family Center houses
the campus= early childhood program for up to 30 children aged 3
to 5 years. The Center is opened all year.
Frederick Douglas Library - (1968) Named for the self-educated
abolitionist, orator, and author who was born on the Eastern Shore.
The three-story facility houses a multiplicity of print and non-print
resources to support the mission and academic programs of the university.
In 1991, through renovation effects, the library doubled in size
to 61,000 square feet. The collection includes over 177,000 volumes,
30,000 bound periodicals and over a half million microfiche and
microfilm collections. As a member of the University of Marylands
System Library Information Management System, the library is linked
with the Universitys eleven campuses and thirteen libraries
via an automated integrated system
Charles R. Drew Student Health Center - This facility houses
the student health center which provides treatment, counseling,
and educational services to students.
Ella Fitzgerald Center for the Performing Arts - (1973)
Home for the Department of Fine Arts, this stately building is named
for the internationally acclaimed vocalist and contains a 1200 seat
auditorium with a thrust stage, classrooms and a conference room.
Harford Hall- Renovated in 1994, this two-story building
is a residence facility for female students in The Honors Program.
Richard A. Henson Center - Completed in 1993, this major
campus structure houses the Departments of Hotel/Restaurant Management
and Human Ecology, as well as 24 guest rooms, conference and dining
facilities for the hotel/restaurant management program. It honors
the Eastern Shore philanthropist and prominent aviation chairman.
Hydroponics Green House - A 2.5 acre facility used commercially
to grow horticultural plants.
Thomas R. Kiah Hall - Formerly the Somerset Jr. High and
High School, a 1990 renovation converted this three story building
for the use of the Physical Therapy, Business and Economics, and
Mathematics, Computer Science and Engineering departments. It is
named for the former chief executive of the university.
Murphy Hall - (1943) and Murphy Hall Annex (1964) These
traditional residence halls house female freshmen, and take their
name from John Murphy, publisher of the Afro-American Newspaper,
the first national African American newspaper.
Nuttle Hall - (1973) Named for a member of the board of
regents, male freshmen are housed in this traditional residence
Plant and Soil Science Building
Plaza Residence Halls - Opened in fall 1996, Court Plaza
Resident Hall houses male students and the Art Shell Plaza Residence
Hall houses female students.
The President's House - (1964) This elegant home on the
edge of the campus is the residence of the University President
and the President's family.
Somerset Hall-A colonial structure, this building is closed
Charles Clinton Spaulding Hall - (1963) Bearing the name
of the noted black business leader from North Carolina, this one-story
structure houses the academic program of Poultry Technology and
Student Apartments - (1980) Housing sophomore, junior, senior
and transfer students, this complex provides four-person apartment
Student Development, Cultural and Recreation Center - (1976)
Called simply the SDC by students and staff, until spring 2001,
this building will house the Office of the Student Government Association,
the Counseling Center, Career Planning and Placement, Cooperative
Education, Basic Skills, as well as the Chapel, and assembly room,
game room, snack area, and the campus bookstore. Most areas will
move into the Student Services Center (see below) in spring 2001.
Student Residential Complex - (1990) this 600-bed apartment
complex is complemented by a cluster of student residences: Murphy
Hall and Murphy Annex, Nuttle Hall, Wicomico Hall, and the Student
Student Services Center scheduled to open in spring
2001, this two-story building is the home of the Student Government
Association, 25-registered student organizations, bookstore, game
room, bowling center, dining hall, snack bar, chapel, lounges, resource
center, ballroom, theatre, and the campus post office.
Henry O. Tanner Hall - (1963) The airway science program
is located in the structure named for the accomplished black artist
J. Millard Tawes Gymnasium - (1966) The building is primarily
used for student intramural sports activities. It is named for the
former Maryland governor born and raised in the nearby town of Crisfield.
The adjoining Cappy Anderson Stadium was renovated in 1992.
Frank Trigg Hall - (1954) Name for the fourth head of the
institution, this four-story Colonial Revival structure houses the
Department of Agriculture.
Joseph Robert Waters Hall - (1950) The cafeteria and dining
facilities are in this two-story structure that honors one of the
institution's founding ministers.
WESM/93.1 FM Radio Station - The Universitys 50,000-watt
station has been broadcasting since 1986 and brings a welcome jazz
and contemporary music format to listeners within a 75 mile radius
of the campus.
J.T. Williams Hall-A three story renovated structure originally
built in the 1950s, J.T. Williams Hall houses administrative offices.
Joseph Alfred Banum Wilson Hall - (1949) This two story
Greek Revival building is the home for the Department of English
and Languages. Named for one of the early founders of the institution,
the building is also the site of the new telecourse production studio.
William P. Hytche Athletic Center Completed in spring
1999, this facility houses the Department of Physical Education.
Classroom facilities and faculty offices are contained in the building
as well as a sports event seating capacity of 6000+. The structure
includes an Olympic sized swimming pool, NCAA regulation in-door
track arena, state-of-the-art exercise and fitness equipment, and
a dance studio. The building is named for President Emeritus Dr.
William P. Hytche.
Return to the University Index
| Academics | The
School of Agriculture and Natural Sciences | The
School of the Arts and Professions | The
School of Business and Technology | Courses
| Faculty | Appendix